Sunday 2 October 2011

Teacher training - one month in

So many things make an impression on me, and I often think 'Oh I must write a post for the blog' yet I never seem to get around to it. I have a mountain of work to do, an assignment to write, and I really should be taking myself off to bed, so just a short post to mark the occasion - I've just completed my first month of teacher training...and I love it!
It took 6 and a half long years to get my Language degree, so it feels like an eternity since I was talked into a career in teaching. Even when I began cover supervision and felt completely at ease at the front of a classroom, I didn't think I was cut out for the responsibility of teaching, and all that goes with it. In a few short weeks, I've realised I made the right choice, and now I need to spend the next 9 months making sure I get the most from my training and qualify!!
Part of my training invloves observing other teachers, and I'm well aware that one or two of them may read this, but I make no apology for gushing about the teaching I've seen in practice! You know that feeling when you have been to see a good band, or show and you're pleased you went? When I leave a lesson at my school, it's that kind of feeling, I can't explain it in any other way. They're not pulling out all the stops 'cos they have a trainee in the room, this is what the kids at our school get regardless of who is watching. Passion, creativity and enthusiasm for their subject leave me scribbling furiously,noting down catchy phrases like 'If in doubt, write it out!' - I would not have struggled in Maths, had I had this kind of teacher! To see the most rebellious of pupils produce a worthy piece of writing and feel valued in a mixed ability class where he could feel out of his depth is down to a positive learning environment I could only hope to create in my classroom.
So this week saw my first whole lesson,Year 8 Spanish, a class I know well, but seem so different now I have a new perspective on how they learn. I'm responsible for all that happens during that hour, and it is an hour that leaves me drained and exhilarated at the same time. Whoever said teachers have it easy, with holidays aplenty, couldn't be more wrong. I've always felt that taking charge of a classroom is like that trick you see where they wobble plates on sticks (is there a name for it?)-you're juggling so much,it's untrue! I've been given a dream tutor group to share,they start my day in the nicest possible way, and I'm already very proud of them. My horror at having to team teach a sex ed lesson was soon forgotten, there was me thinking they were too young and naive...how naive was I?
I'm back at Uni, one day a week, to cover the 'theory' of teaching and it's great fun. I'm the only one doing Modern Language teaching, so I've been teamed with PE and Music trainees, and they are lovely! Assignment deadlines are once again part of my life, and I'm actually classed as a fresher, which at 42 is rather funny!
Well, that's about it, I shall try to keep this updated more often, tales of a trainee teacher and all that! The kids at school have twigged, they miss nothing,asking if I'm going to 'be' a teacher, and even wishing me luck! They are fantastic!
I'd love to see my language teachers from my schooldays to tell them what I'm doing. All I know is that MFL lessons are great fun, and there's nothing better than sharing a love of languages with eager young minds and helping them master a life skill like speaking another language.
I'm loving it more than I ever dared to hope!
Hasta la próxima

No comments:

Post a Comment